The Parent's Masterclass Series
Psychological Well-Being and Mental Health Masterclasses for Parents of Teens
The following masterclasses are offered individually or as a complete course. These classes have been designed for parents interested in learning about the psychological well-being and mental health care of their teenagers, and aquiring techniques to support their teenagers' well-being.
Masterclass - Growing self-esteem
During this class you will be invited to explore your own self-esteem and address how to apply the knowledge and techniques learnt to support your teenager.
- Identify your core values and how well you live them
- Work through a process to strengthen integration of your core values in your life
- Identify your unique qualities, gifts and strengths
- Identify areas of weakness and learn about the power of accepting what we do not like about ourselves or imposed limitations
- Make acquaintance with your inner critic, learn to give strength to the voice of love
- Discuss the importance of doing what makes you happy
- Implement boundaries to support self-love and self- worth
- Identify key strategies for supporting your teenager in developing their self-esteem using the skills just learnt.
Masterclass - Integrating Family Values and Setting Healthy Boundaries
When children and teenagers are brought up within a clear set of healthy values and strong boudanries, this gives them a sense of security because they know what is expected of them, and how you will respond to them.
- Explore unconscious family values (e.g respect, honesty, kindness) and define your top five family values
- Identify how well you live your family values and where there is room for growth
- Learn how to integrate family values with your teenager
- Discover the impact of aligning family values with house rules and boundaries
- Learn how to implement boundaries effectively.
- Set up a clear list of rewards and consequences in relation to these boundaries
- Monitor progress and success
Master Class - Generating Effective Communication Skills
The ability to really listen and be present can save a child's life because when a child believes you will respond to them in a calm way, without criticism, emotional outbursts or judgement, they are more likely to open up to you.
- Discuss the challenges of open communication
- Identify solutions to improving communication with your teenager
- Learn communication approaches to help your teenager open up to you
- Learn how to iniate a conversation about mental health or a difficult topic.
- Understand what you can do when they won't open up or seek help
Masterclass - Anxiety Management
- Learn the cause of development of anxiety and anxiety disorders
- Identify signs of eating disorders, self-harm, obsessive and compulsive behaviors, and panic attacks
- Discover what you can do when you teen is anxious, afraid or having a panic attack
- Learn anxiety management techniques to share with your teen
- Know when to seek professional help
Masterclass - Coping with Depression, Grief and Sadness.
- Learn to identify when your teenager is processing how they feel in a healthy or unhealthy way, and what you can do to support them with their feelings of shock, devastation, anger, sadness, loss and depression.
- Know the symptoms of grief
- Understand how to respond and communicate with your grieving teen
- Know the support strategies you can offer them, to support healthy coping
- Understand the signs and development of depression
- Suicide prevention: Discuss concerns about teen suicide, learn the possible causes and the suicide warning signs, and what you can do if you have concern for any teenager
Masterclass - Growing Social Confidence and Managing Bullies
- Discover how social confidence is developed
- Learn simple and effective social confidence boosters
- Know how to help your child when they are being bullied
- Know how to help your child when they are the bully
- Understand how to discuss identity protection and staying safe online with your teenager
- Support smart social networking: inform your teen on what to do and not to do
- How to approach your teenager about exposure to inappropriate content online
Masterclass - Finding Meaningful Life Direction
- Discover your core truth about what truly matters in each area of your life today
- Recognise what is going well, where your values are being lived, and how to make changes to create more of what matters now.
- Consider big and exciting dreams
- Identify the limiting beliefs and behaviors that may stand in your way
- Get motivated to make the changes you treally want now.
- Engage in a creative process to design a meaningful vision founded on your core values and the techniques that empower you to make the changes you now want.
- Prepare to overcome procrastiantion and take action where you now want results
- Discuss how you will guide your teenagers through this process.
- Knowledge: This course provides knowledge on mental health, psychological-well being, cognitive and behavioral developmental processes, the cause and influence of mental health dis-ease and dis-harmony, and an overview of some of the most common adolescent mental health issues facing us today.
- Skills: You will be taught how to: build self-esteem, dismantle fear, grow social confidence, help your family members create healthy boundaries and develop effective and positive communication skills, support someone struggling with anxiety or depression, manage a panic attack, help someone who is struggling with an eating disorder, support a child in managing a bully, specific things you can do to help a teenager stay safe online and how to support a teenager in finding meaninful purpose and direction.
Boundaries and Confidentiality
It is important to understand that this course cannot give you specific advice on how to help your own child, because I would not have met your child, and therefore it would not be appropriate to advise. You can bring to the course anything you wish to share, and rather than advising you on how to 'treat' your teenager, I can coach you on how you apply the knowledge and skills offered. If your child or teenager is in coaching or therapy with me, it would not be appropriate for you to join a group course, because raising their issues in a group space would breach the trust they have in me. In this case, you can arrange to do the course on a one-to-one basis and with a 50% discount.
Masterclasses: (2 hours on-line) - 165.00Euros plus IVA
Full Course: (Seven workshops of two hours each over a period of two months) - 695.00 Euros plus IVA
You can invite other parents to join the online masterclasses or the full course and share the costs. (Max 8 per group)